Theodoros NTAFLOS, Ao. Univ. Prof. Dr.
Room Number: 2C576
My research focuses on the origin and evolution of the Lithospheric Mantle, and on the magma generation and differentiation in the depth. On going geochemical and petrologic studies of upper mantle fragments (mantle xenoliths) and volcanic rocks from Patagonia, NE-Siberia and the Pannonian Basin back arc tectonic settings provide valuable information towards understanding how and to what degree subducted slabs affect the mantle wedges. Other areas of current research interests are in Continental Flood Basalt Volcanism, petrology and geochemistry of meteorites and in archaeometry.
I am responsible for the Department’s Electron Probe Microanalyzer Laboratory (EPMA). Users (Msc and PhD students) have the legitimation to use the EPMA after completing succesfully the course INSTRUMENTAL METHODS II. Guests who would like to use the EPMA, please contact me.
1. FWF project 2011-2014 (start october 2011): “The Geochemical and Petrological evolution of the Lithospheric Mantle beneath Patagonia”
2. FWF project 2009-2012: “Late Cenozoic volcanism near the North America - Eurasia Plate Boundary in Northeastern Asia: evolution of eruptions and mantle geochemistry”
3. OEAW project 2009-2011: “Experimental formation of diamondites and the determination of trace element Kd under the same experimental P-T conditions”
4. WTZ project Austria-Poland 2010-2011: “Young volcanic rocks of SW-Poland and E-Austria – messengers from the Earth’s mantle beneath Central Europe”
5. WTZ project Austria-France 2011-2012: “Characterization of the lithospheric Mantle underneath western Pannonian Basin“
Top 5 Publications:
Ali, S., Ntaflos, T., 2011. Alkali basalts from Burgenland, Austria: Petrological constraints on the origin of the westernmost magmatism in the Carpathian-Pannonian Region. Lithos 121(1-4):176-188 DOWNLOAD PDF
Bjerg, E.A., Ntaflos, T., Thöni, M., Aliani, P., Labudia, C.H., 2009. Heterogeneous Lithospheric Mantle beneath Northern Patagonia: Evidence from Prahuaniyeu Garnet- and Spinel-Peridotites. J Petrology 50(7):1267-1298 doi:10.1093/petrology/egp021 DOWNLOAD PDF
Ntaflos, T., Bjerg, E.A., Labudia, C.H., Kurat, G., 2007. Depleted lithosphere from the mantle wedge beneath Tres Lagos, southern Patagonia, Argentina. Lithos 94(1-4):46-65 DOWNLOAD PDF
Ntaflos, T., Tschegg, C., Coltorti, M., Akinin, V.V., Kosler, J., 2008. Asthenospheric signature in fertile spinel lherzolites from the Viliga Volcanic Field in NE Russia. Geological Society, London, Special Publications 293(1):57-81 doi:10.1144/sp293.4 DOWNLOAD PDF
Ntaflos, T., Richter, W., 2003. Geochemical constraints on the origin of the Continental Flood Basalt magmatism in Franz Josef Land, Arctic Russia. Eur J Míneral 15:649-663 DOWNLOAD PDF